Here are 5 reasons NOT to get a massage:
- You’re too busy. With everything you have going on, you don’t have time for a massage.
- You’re too tired to do anything. I mean, really! After a long day, you just want to go straight home and kick up your feet.
- You’ve been in pain a loooong time! You’re “dealing” with it just fine.
- You could spend that money on something for the kids instead.
- Massage is a “luxury”.
Sound about right to you? These are the most common reasons I hear all. the. time. I didn’t say they were GOOD reasons, did I? You didn’t really think I was going to leave it at that, did you? So, now let’s really talk about these reasons, shall we?
1.You’re too busy. Yeah, I KNOW you’re busy! I’m a mom, too, remember? But if I told you that YOUR mom, or your kids, or your partner needed a massage, I’m willing to bet you’d MAKE time. Amirite?! Of course, I am! So WHY are you treating yourself like YOUR needs don’t matter? You make time for shopping, mani-pedis, hair coloring, etc..you can make time for a massage. Even one 60 minute session a month helps relieve pain, stress and improve your mental clarity! and who doesn’t need to get away from the kids for awhile? It’s ok! No one will judge you here.
2.You’re too tired. Really? How much rest are you really getting at home on the couch? Watching Yo, Gabba Gabba! probably playing referee again. How much more is getting done because your mind is like a non-stop carousel of your to-do list? On the other hand, getting a massage allows your mind and body to rest for a while and enjoy some peace, and quiet. Soothing ambient music, delicious French Lavender Aromatherapy to help the stress fall away, and a massage that leaves you feeling refreshed, renewed, and ready to take on the world again! I won’t tell anyone your SuperWoman cape came off for an hour.
3. You’re “dealing” with pain. Let me tell you something about pain. Yes, it’s annoying. Just like your neighbor’s hyper-sensitive car alarm that goes off in the middle of the night when a random car passes by. The difference here is that your pain is your alarm system. You can keep ignoring it, but it’s only going to get louder, and LOUDER, and LOUDER! Until you have no choice but to listen. You can either choose to listen now, and DO something about your pain or just let it get worse and take, your posture, your flexibility, and your ability to sleep with it. I hate to break it to you sister: we’re not gettin’ any younger. Hope you like the name Quasimodo! LOL!
4. Spending that money on the kids instead. *sigh* Ok, I’m not saying don’t get them a winter coat so you can get a massage. I’m saying: does your kid REALLY have to have the latest phone? Or that video game? Or that toy that you know will end up in the toy box or under the bed, a.k.a. The Toy Cemetery? Your kids are not gonna remember all the things you bought them. (Ask them what they got for Christmas 2 years ago! Go ahead, I’ll wait…) What they WILL remember is how much you LOVE them and how you made the feel. I’m sure you’re doing your best. But if you’re not feeling your best-what are you giving them?
5. Massage is a luxury. Or is it? Aren’t mani-pedis? Highlights and low lights? Designer make-up? That $5 cup of coffee? (Starbucks is an average of $32 per gallon, BTW. Ijs… I just blew your mind, didn’t I?) And yes, I LOVE all of these things but, none of these things will relieve your pain, release stress induced tension, lower cortisol (the stress hormone), lower blood pressure, improve quality of sleep, increase energy (without the crash), and reeeeelax you like nothing else can. All of these things add up to a healthier, happier you! Isn’t that what we all want anyway?
When you really think about it, massage takes very little effort on your part. It not only benefits you, it benefits your family, too! It’s the one thing that’s good for you that you can really enjoy and look forward to. Unless you’re a workout freak. You’re just weird. LOL! JK…So, when you’re ready to show up a better you in your life…I’ll be here.
Priscilla Davis is a mom to amazing Princess Emma and a (mostly) loving wife. By trade she is a talented and passionate Massage Therapist. She is an old soul who believes in helping people, especially mothers, live their best lives possible.